Hawaiian Style BBQ Flank Ribs
Hawaiian Style BBQ Flanken Ribs
I could eat a whole plate of these mouthwatering ribs! Instead of traditional slow cooking via braising or smoking for ribs, these get tenderized with a long 24-48hr marinade and then are quickly grilled. Perfect time to caramelize some pineapple slices on the grill and serve it all over a bed of rice.
PREP TIME: 10 MIN MARINATE: OVERNIGHT
GRILL TIME: 10 MINS TOTAL TIME: 24 HRS
SERVES: 1 LB per hungry person
The Supply List
- 2lbs Wild Earth Flanken Style Short Ribs
- 2 6oz cans pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce (can sub low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos)
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar or white wine
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Asian pear, chopped (optional but adds some extra sweetness)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 whole pineapple, peeled, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
Prepare the beef: Quickly rinse the ribs and place ribs in a gallon bag, set aside.
Combine pineapple juice, brown sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic, pear, and green onions in a bowl. Pour mixture over ribs in the bag and marinate 24 to max 48 hours in the fridge. Turning bag occasionally to evenly coat.
Cooking: Preheat BBQ grill to med-high.
Brush or spray pineapple slices with olive or vegetable oil and lightly sprinkle with kosher salt. As you pull the ribs from the bag, allow some of the marinade to drip off before placing them on the grill. The extra sugary drippings can burn and make something of a mess in your grill.. more is not necessarily better here. You can always lightly brush sauce on as they cook, but the long acidic marinade time does a great job permeating the meat.
Place ribs and pineapple on the grill and cook until charred on both sides and evenly, just done. Thicker cuts (up to 1/2 inch) may take 5 minutes per side. Just keep an eye on them and flip as necessary.
Serve With: Finish with green onions and serve over rice with grilled pineapple slices and roasted vegetables.